black friday canada

Canadians now prefer Black Friday to Boxing Day

Black Friday, the shopping holiday that was once reserved for American malls, has taken Canada by storm in recent years. Now, a new survey shows Canadians actually prefer Black Friday to Boxing Day. 

The Retail Council of Canada just released their annual Holiday Shopping Survey for 2019 and it revealed that 43 per cent of Canadians intend to shop today compared to 34 per cent on Boxing Day.

"When compared to 2018 results, the annual survey confirms that Black Friday is not a passing trend in Canada," the survey's description states.

"In fact, a growing number of Canadians have adopted the American holiday as their retail holiday of choice."

The amount of Canadians who said they intend to do holiday shopping on Black Friday this year is up 40 per cent from last year, proving the popularity of the holiday is significantly on the rise in Canada. 

The survey also found that 72 per cent of Canadians intend to do their holiday shopping in-store, while the remaining 28 per cent plan to do it all online. 

In addition, 65 per cent said they had a firm budget for their holiday spending. 

Overall, according to the survey, holiday spending is expected to decrease from last year. While the average Canadian spent $824 on holiday shopping in 2018, that number is expected to drop slightly to $792 in 2019. 

It seems Canadians are noticing the shifting trend, too. Some have even taken to social media to express their thoughts on the matter.

"Based on the crowds for Black Friday in Canada, what’s going to happen to Boxing Day now?" one Twitter user wrote. 

"Boxing Day (Dec.26) used to be Canada’s biggest shopping day of the year but now it’s the U.S.’s Black Friday. We’re so easily influenced, eh? Next we’ll be calling candy floss 'cotton candy!' It’s made from floss sugar and it’s NOT cotton! Get a grip, Yanks!" another wrote. 

And some are expressing concerns about how this is affecting retail workers. 

But despite the clear influence the U.S. has had on Canadians' shopping habits, the RCC survey revealed that 85 per cent of respondents still consider it important to buy from a retailer within Canada this holiday season.

Lead photo by Rosy Nguyen

Latest Videos

Join the conversation Load comments

Latest in Entertainment

SNL pokes fun at Quebec English and Canada's obsession with Drake

Halle Berry is quarantining in Montreal to film a new movie and fans are excited

Someone is trying to preserve an abandoned Blockbuster in Canada as a museum

Family Feud Canada enforces strict no handshaking rule and limits families to Toronto area

Here's all the Christmas movies coming to Netflix Canada for 2020

There's now a comic book about Kamala Harris' time in Montreal

Shawn Mendes just dropped new music for the first time in years and fans are freaking out

Riverdale shuts down filming of season 5 in Canada because of COVID