Lowe's, one of North America's largest home improvement chains, has announced the closure of 34 stores across Canada in a bid to "better position itself for the future."
This is in addition to closure of 31 Canadian stores that were deemed to be "underperforming" in November of 2018.
Like last year's round of closures, the majority of Lowe's-owned stores slated to wind down in January and February currently operate under the Rona brand.
Lowe's, which is based in North Carolina, famously purchased the Canadian hardware retailer Rona for $3.2 billion in 2016.
Of the 34 stores that are getting the axe this time around, 26 are Ronas, six are Lowe's and two operate as Reno-Depots.
The company stated in a press release on Wednesday that it will be closing 21 Lowe's, Rona and Reno-Depot stores across Ontario and Quebec on January 31, 2020.
Three stores in B.C., six in Alberta, one in Saskatchewan and three in Nova Scotia will close on either January 31 or February 19, 2020.
Here's a full list of the affected stores:
- Lowe's Prince George (2999 Massey Drive, Prince George, B.C.)
- RONA Surrey (6965 King George Boulevard, Surrey, B.C.)
- RONA Osoyoos (6014-51 Street, Osoyoos, B.C.)
- Lowe's Calgary - Shawnessy( 295 Shawville Boulevard S.E., Calgary, AB.)
- RONA Airdrie (2649 Main Street South, Airdrie, Alta.)
- RONA Calgary (14815 Bannister Road S.E., Calgary, Alta.)
- RONA St. Albert (730 St. Albert Trail, St. Albert, Alta.)
- RONA Sherwood Park (340 Baseline Road, Sherwood Park, Alta.)
- RONA Edmonton (1003 Parsons Road S.W., Edmonton, Alta.)
- Lowe's Regina (489 Albert Street North, Regina, Sask.)
- Lowe's Etobicoke (48 Lowe's Place, Etobicoke, Ont.)
- Lowe's Thunder Bay (1000 Fort William Road, Thunder Bay, Ont.)
- Lowe's Cornwall (950 Brookdale Avenue, Cornwall, Ont.)
- RONA Brockville (550 Stewart Boulevard, Brockville, Ont.)
- Home & Garden RONA - Cambridge (66 Pinebush Road, Cambridge, Ont.)
- RONA Mississauga (4141 Dixie Road, Mississauga, Ont.)
- Reno-Depot Aurora (140 First Commerce Drive, Aurora, Ont.)
- RONA Oshawa (1279 Simcoe Street North, Oshawa, Ont.)
- RONA Ajax (19 Notion Road, Ajax, Ont.)
- RONA Granby (316 rue Denison Est, Granby, Que.)
- RONA Sorel (1293 chemin des Patriotes, Sorel-Tracy, Que.)
- RONA Bécancour (3365 boulevard Bécancour, Bécancour, Que.)
- RONA Nicolet (2145 boulevard Louis-Fréchette, Nicolet, Que.)
- RONA Saint-Tite (700 rue Notre-Dame, Saint-Tite, Que.)
- RONA Trois-Rivières (15 rue Philippe-Francoeur, Trois-Rivières, Que.)
- RONA Saint-Félix-de-Valois (3110 rue Henri-L. Chevrette, Saint-Félix-de-Valois, Que.)
- RONA Carignan (2395 chemin de Chambly, Carignan, Que.)
- RONA Saint-Lambert (707 rue Saint-Charles, St. Lambert, Que.)
- RONA Saint-Sauveur (180 rue Principale, Saint-Sauveur, Que.)
- RONA Bellefeuille - Saint-Jérôme (905 boulevard de la Salette, Saint-Jérôme, Que.)
- Réno-Dépôt Trois-Rivières (4575 boulevard des Forges, Trois-Rivières, Que.)
- RONA Dartmouth (500 Windmill Road, Dartmouth, Que.)
- RONA Dartmouth (1000 Cole Harbour Road, Dartmouth, Que.)
- RONA Bedford (1658 Bedford Place Mall, Bedford, Que.)
"While making decisions that impact our associates and their families is never easy, closing underperforming stores is a necessary step in our plan to ensure the long-term stability and growth of our Canadian business," said Tony Cioffi, Interim President of Lowe's Canada, in a press release issued Wednesday.
"Our objective continues to be providing our Canadian customers with the right products and the best service and value across every channel, for the long term."
In a separate release tailored toward investors, Lowe's Companies Inc. reported net earnings of $1.0 billion for the third quarter of 2019, up from $629 million over the same time period last year.