Canada admits to secretly paying for Harry and Meghan's security since last year
Remember when Canada was considering paying for Harry and Meghan's security? Well, it turns out that the government wasn't just considering it — they were already shelling out the cash.
According to Public Safety Minister Bill Blair's office, Canada has been secretly paying for the Sussex's security detail since November 2019.
The Canadian government initially said that they had footed Harry and Meghan's security bill "intermittently" since October, but issued a correction soon after.
Public Safety Minister @BillBlair’s office confirms in statement the RCMP will stop providing security for Harry and Meghan, Duke & Duchess of Sussex, in the coming weeks when their royal status changes. They have moved to BC part time as they step back from royal duties #cdnpoli pic.twitter.com/oSclWGza49— Cormac Mac Sweeney (@cmaconthehill) February 27, 2020
The office confirmed that it will stop offering the Sussex family protection in March.
Meghan and Harry — who are currently residing in Vancouver — are recognized as "Internationally Protected Persons," and were therefore entitled to protection by both RCMP and Canadian metropolitan police.
The reaction to the news has been mixed so far.
Some Canadians felt betrayed by the government's refusal to comment on the situation — until officials could conveniently say that they were no longer paying for Harry and Meghan's security detail, of course.
wow...so govt officials such as @BillBlair @JustinTrudeau lied when they said no decisions had been made and rcmp not part of their security detail. This is infuriating.— Kelly (@firefly7461) February 27, 2020
While others felt that Justin Trudeau made a sensible decision in providing temporary security.
It makes sense they would provide security until the details were worked out. Glad to hear it’s resolved and there won’t be additional costs.— Brian Martin 🇨🇦 (@BMartinMayer) February 27, 2020
With rumours swirling about Harry and Meghan moving to Los Angeles soon, it seems that the couple might have just confirmed their date of departure: March.
Join the conversation Load comments