An 8-year-old kid in Canada just won $200 of cannabis at a hockey tournament
A young hockey player in Canada got more than he bargained for after winning a chocolate basket that contained cannabis.
The eight-year-old boy — a player at Dawson Creek Minor Hockey in British Columbia — was participating in a weekend tournament when the incident occurred.
Speaking with CTV News, the boy's grandfather Keith Redl said, "each team is usually responsible for putting a gift basket or prize package together with a minimum value of $50."
According to Redl, the gift baskets typically contain family-friendly items such as tickets to the movies, card games, popcorn and candy or age-appropriate board games.
Redl's grandson used his $10 worth of raffle tickets to bid on a basket valued at $200 and filled with various kinds of chocolate, unaware that the sweets actually contained cannabis.
Why was that even a prize at a youth hockey tournament? That's more like a social prize or a silent auction prize at an event for adults only. Would someone put a sex basket in there too? Like JFC!— 🇨🇦204Girl0574🇨🇦 (@204Girl0574) March 3, 2020
As you might expect, Redl — a retired police officer — wasn't pleased. He told media, "There is no place for drugs at a child's hockey tournament."
It seems that other Canadians would agree.
However, some argued that it wasn't fair to blame the Dawson Creek Minor Hockey Association.
File it under people are stupid and there’s no regs in the world that can prevent that.— Gabe🌿🇨🇦🌿 (@retired_rebel) March 3, 2020
Dawson Creek Minor Hockey Association said in a statement to CTV News that the prize was clearly marked as for adults.
"The raffle winner was told the basket contained cannabis products and was given the option of not accepting the prize," the statement said, referring to Redl’s adult son, who picked up the basket. "The winner chose to take the prize, their identification was checked to ensure they were of legal age (19+), and the donor then delivered the basket to the winners."
This is the second cannabis-related incident at a children's function to hit the news in 2020, following kids at a school event unwittingly eating cake laced with THC in Nova Scotia.
Join the conversation Load comments