Three new deaths reported in Canada as coronavirus spreads
During a press conference earlier today, B.C.'s chief medical officer of health announced that there have been three more deaths linked to the COVID-19 outbreak in the province.
Dr. Bonnie Henry said the three deaths all took place at the Lynn Valley Care Centre over the weekend — the same place that reported the country's only other death from the virus earlier this month.
3 new #coronavirus deaths reported in B.C., all from Lynn Valley Care Centre. That makes a total of 4 deaths in Canada, all from the same senior care centre. #cdnpoli— Cynthia Mulligan (@CityCynthia) March 16, 2020
"Four people in total now have passed away and we are very, very sorry about that. This is a very sad situation and we pass on our condolences to their families," she said during the press conference.
Speaking alongside Health Minister Adrian Dix, Dr. Henry also announced 30 new cases in the province, bringing B.C.'s total up to 103.
Very sad to hear BC has three new #covid19 deaths. “It’s our strong view visitors don’t come to B.C. from USA.” Cancel all gatherings > 50 & elective surgeries. Urges us to keep safe & do our part to support each other. #BonnieHenry @adriandix #cdnhealth https://t.co/sDzEke5xOv— PaulGallant, CHE 🇨🇦🏳️🌈 (@HealthWorksBC) March 16, 2020
Following the somber news of additional deaths and cases in B.C., Dr. Henry and Dix announced several new measures to help address the virus outbreak.
B.C.— Kevin Olenick (@kevole) March 16, 2020
3 new deaths. 30 new cases. 5 recovered.
Canceling gatherings that are more than 50 people.
Stopping scheduled surgeries.
Ask for communicating with seniors.
This is not forever. Support each other.
Remain concerned about US.
Visitors to the US. SHOULD NOT COME TO BC.
They said the province is now banning gatherings of more than 50 people, a step up from the previous ban of more than 250 people.
Officials also said hospitals will only perform emergency surgeries going forward and will postpone all non-urgent scheduled surgeries in an effort to free up beds.
Dr. Henry also emphasized that U.S. travellers are currently not welcome in B.C.
The new reported cases in B.C. bring Canada's total number of cases to 414 as of Monday afternoon, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau just announced that borders will be closed to almost all international travellers in order to help manage the outbreak.
Join the conversation Load comments