lobster fishing nova scotia

There's a huge fight over lobster fishing in Nova Scotia right now

Lobster fishing in Nova Scotia is causing all sorts of chaos this week after non-Indigenous fishermen started removing lobster traps set by the Sipekne'katik First Nation.

On Sunday, approximately 100 boats moved in to the St. Marys Bay to begin removing the lobster traps and relocating them to the wharf in Meteghan, N.S. later that day. 

Colin Sproul of the Fundy Inshore Fishermen's Association told the Canadian Press that the fishermen are taking action on what they believe is illegal, out-of-season fishing. He also blamed the federal government for what was happening. 

"When we are forced into this kind of position it’s really indicative of how out of touch the government is with the situation down here in Atlantic Canada," he said. 

"All of our members have been instructed not to engage with any Indigenous people or any types of violent acts. We are just looking to remain peaceful."

However, the Sipekne'katik First Nation says that they have treaty right to fish at any time since the Supreme Court of Canada decided 21 years ago that Donald Marshall Jr. had the right to fish where and when he wanted without a license. 

"No responsible person can legitimately argue that the Mi'kmaq right to fish for a moderate livelihood or that the right to sell that catch commercially does not exist," Sipekne'katik First Nation said in a media release.

Late last week, the Sipekne'Katik First Nation launched its own self-managed lobster fishery to mark the 21-year anniversary of the right of Indigenous groups in Eastern Canada to hunt and fish for a moderate livelihood.

On Friday, though, tension mounted as confrontations between non-Indigenous fishermen and the Sipekne'katik First Nations grew violent. Two people are facing assault charges after being arrested later that day.

RCMP in Nova Scotia released a statement on Twitter, saying that they are present and monitoring the situation. 

Images and videos shared on social media, though, show a large number of fishermen gathered at the wharf.

This prompted Indigenous fishermen to set up a blockade of ropes and lobster traps at the wharf in Saulnierville, N.S. on Saturday.

Earlier this week, Indigenous fishermen alleged that ropes securing some lobster traps had been cut. 

Sipekne’katik First Nation Chief Mike Sack said in a statement on Sunday morning that even more had been damaged. He also said that he had a "positive" meeting with the Department of Fisheries and Ocean.

“The minister was very concerned about the vandalism and acts of aggression that have taken place and expressed her support in taking all measures necessary to protect our people as we continue to exercise our constitutional right to fish for a moderate livelihood," Sack is quoting  as saying in a press release.

"To see these off-season commercial fishermen come out with dozens of multimillion dollar boats and boast publicly about cutting every single one of our lines, falsely in the name of conservation, is shameful and un-Canadian in our experience," he continued in a statement on Monday

Lead photo by

Dennis Jarvis


Join the conversation Load comments

Latest in News

Someone just spotted one of the weirdest looking fish washed up in Canada

Bear in Calgary caught eating Halloween pumpkins while residents were sleeping

Vancouver woman shoved out of bus after spitting on a fellow passenger

Air Canada and WestJet bicker over plans to refund airline tickets

Poppy donation boxes in Canada will soon take credit cards

COVID internment camps in Canada don't exist despite what you might have heard

Canada won't be having a snap election this fall

Someone is setting fire to toilet paper at Walmart stores in Canada